Super Yummy Pudding!
This weekend it was my Deconstucted Pavlova...A firm family favourite and really so simple to make. I was scared of them for years until I asked my Mum how she made hers...This is the recipe she gave me, it's from The Dairy Book of Family Cookery.Which my Mum bought me many moons ago when I was a student (I think!)
Anyway...here it is...
...Sara's Mum's Yummy Scrummy Pavlova...
...(which we deconstruct due to fussy eaters!)...
Feeds: 8 (or 4 greedy ones!!)
Prep time: 20mins
Cooking time: 1hr
Oven: Gas 1, 140c
3 egg whites
pinch of salt
250g caster sugar (I use golden)
300ml double cream and fruit of your choice to serve
- Separate the eggs...best way is in your hands...but if you're not confident doing this tip between the two halves of egg shell...being very careful not to get any yolk in there! Tip into a clean bowl (I use my Kenwood chef with the balloon whisk attachment)
- Add the pinch of salt to the whites and whisk to firm peaks...so that
whenif yo lift the bowl above your head, none falls on you!!!
- Slowly add the sugar a spoonful at a time...your meringue mix will start to shine when done.
- It should have stiff peaks that hold their shape when lifted from the bowl. Fold in the vanilla and vinegar.
- Spread the meringue mix into a large circle on a baking sheet. The non-stick reusable ones are great for this! If you're going to fill your pavlova, make a dip in the middle.
- Put in the oven and bake for 55-60mins. Once cooked, leave on the sheet until cold.
- Then it is up to you what you do...you need to whip the cream to soft peaks, then you can either spread over the meringue and top with fruit or as we do, put mixed berries out alongside a bowl of cream, and let people decorate their own slices...
- My smallish people prefer this as they can pick and choose their own combinations!
- Basically you can do your own thing...
- My son, likes just cream, with the odd strawberry if he's in the mood!
- One thing is always the same in our house though.....all we ever have left are the crumbs!!!